There are lots of reasons why people beg on the street. Each person has their own story to tell, and many of us instinctively want to give money to someone we think needs our help. But giving money directly to people on the streets can actually keep them on the streets for longer.
As well as providing practical help to people on the streets, Street Aid gives those who want to help an alternative way of giving. If you donate to Street Aid, your donation is combined with others to make a meaningful sum that will make a real difference to someone’s life. Money donated goes directly towards helping homeless people in York.
Help us help people on the street turn a corner.
How does it work?
- Generous donors can give via this page, or at the contactless giving point, which will be situated in the city centre at Spark York (date of installation to be confirmed).
- Donations are pooled together into the York Street Aid Fund.
- Grants are distributed to individuals for specific items to help them get off, and stay off, the streets.
People applying for Street Aid grants must be referred by an organisation (voluntary sector or local authority) that has assessed the person’s individual circumstances and can confirm they are in need of financial help that cannot be found elsewhere.
These grants are not normally used for crisis support and the needs will be different for each individual, they are designed to offer long-term, planned help that will bring about real change for that person for example grants might be used for:-
Clothing for job interviews
Transport to interview/place of work
Second hand bike to provide transport to place of work
Refurbished lap top to assist with job searches/ completion of online courses
Paying for the use of an allotment, including a shed and tools, which would bring the beneficiary many mental and physical health benefits
Funding to help with health and fitness goals – including gym clothing, trainers, classes or membership
We expect to commence grant making in January, subject to available funds. Information on how to make an application to the fund will be displayed here.
If you have any questions about Street Aid, you can email email@example.com
How do I donate?
- Click the donate button on this page to make a one time or regular donation
- Use our contactless giving point – located at Spark York – each tap with your card will donate £3 to York Street Aid (date of installation to be confirmed).
- Write a cheque payable to ‘Two Ridings Community Foundation’. Mark it on the back with ‘York Street Aid’ and send to: Two Ridings Community Foundation, Pavilion 2000, Amy Johnson Way, York YO30 4XT