Heart of Yorkshire, the Fund for the Selby District
Selby District Council set up The Heart of Yorkshire, the Fund for the Selby District, with a two million pound donation to Two Ridings. As part of a government reorganisation in 2023, the Selby District Council was then dissolved and became part of a wider North Yorkshire Council.
In order to provide their local community with a lasting legacy, the council has invested the money as an endowment fund. So, we can award the annual interest in grants to support local people to deliver activities in their community, year on year, forever. The fund aims to provide a long term, sustainable source of funding. It will support local charitable activity in the Selby District that meets the identified needs.
Selby District Council also made an initial donation of £100,000 for the first year of grant making.
What are the priorities for the fund?
You can apply for activity that supports the wellbeing of people in the Selby District. (Please check the pink areas of the map below.) You should clearly demonstrate how you are working to address the following priorities, which have been identified by Two Ridings Community Foundation from local data and community insights:
Health and wellbeing
We will prioritise projects that provide support to:
- Older and vulnerable people to live dignified, productive and healthy lifestyles.
- Children and young people to access and enjoy healthy lifestyles (this could be physical activity, access to the outdoors, improving their mental wellbeing)
- Improve mental health and wellbeing
Education and Training
We will priorities projects that:
- Develop employability skills
- Provide volunteering opportunities
We will prioritise projects that support
- Increased biodiversity
- Environmental improvements
Community Sector Resilience
- We will prioritise community spaces requiring funding to stay open
Size of grants
You can apply for up to £2,000 all year round, funds allowing.
Who can apply?
Your group should meet our general eligibility criteria under How to Apply.
Your Group must:
- Be based in and/or working in Selby District (see pink area of map above)
- Have a management committee with at least 3 unrelated members
- Be a voluntary organisation, community group, registered charity or other not for profit organisation
- Have a bank account in the group’s name (with two unrelated signatories as a minimum)
- Have an annual income of under £500,000 based on current forecast annual income.
How to apply?
Please read the guidance notes carefully before applying: The Heart of Yorkshire the fund for Selby District Guidance Notes . This will give you information about the fund and priorities to help you decide if your project meets the criteria. Then fill in the online application form. Lastly, we only consider your application complete when we have received all your supporting documents.
After reading the Guidance if you are still unsure, please contact the grants team. We will be happy to help.
When to apply?
The fund is now closed for applications. We will next be holding a decision making panel in September for applications already submitted.
After that, we hope to reopen in 2024 for another round, if funds allow.